Hello and Welcome.
Continuing from the last itinerary, we will explore the world of Japanese animation and comic, through the streets of Ikebukuro and the ethereal world of Ghibli Animation in the Ghibli Museum.
An interesting fact I learn when putting this itinerary together, is that Ikebukuro is kind of a second Akihabara BUT it is more catered towards female! Akihabara = Guy? // Ikebukuro = Girl? Totally unintentional when making this itinerary 😀 But of course both genders will find themselves enjoying both places!!
Without further ado, please enjoy this itinerary 😀
Main Point of Interest:
- Ghibli Museum
- Ikebukuro “Otome Street “
- Namja Town
Where to stay:
AirBnb (Recommended for staying more than 1 day in Tokyo)
- Name: Open sale ! 6 min station-Center of IKEBUKURO #6 LINK
- Budget: $23 per night (weekday) + $29 cleaning fee (one time) (Price at the time of time post) Link to get discount on booking with AirBnB.
- Other info: Whole apartment to yourself. Free portable pocket WIFI. 6 minute walk from Ikebukuro Station.
- NOTE: Check in after 4PM (Let host know if you want to drop off luggage earlier.) Check out time 11 AM.
Budget (expected expenditure for one person): Transportation ( 800 Yen) // Food ( 3,600+ Yen) // Others (tickets adult price) (1500-3300 Yen)
NOTE: This itinerary is assuming you have already arrived in Japan and already checked at the AirBnb listed above. Your starting point is at the place you booked your stay.
7:00 AM Breakfast at Yayoiken (Site)
- Address: Japan, 〒171-0014 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, Ikebukuro, 2 Chome−42, 東京都豊島区池袋2丁目42−6 倉田ビル 1F
- Hours: Monday – Friday. 5:00 AM- 3:00 AM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 500+ yen (Regular Menu)
Have you wonder what a typical Japanese breakfast is like? With that curiosity in mind, I decided to look for a traditional Japanese breakfast. At a reasonable price, one can enjoy a simple and balance meal at Yayoiken in the morning.
8:00 AM Head to Mitaka (via train: Ikebukuro Station to Kichijoji Station)
How to get there:
- From the Yayoiken, walk 8 minute to Ikebukuro station.
- Take the “ JRSaikyo Line” for 各停Shin-Kiba
- Nonstops // 6 Minutes // Get off at “Shinjuku Station”
- Transfer to the “JR Chuo Line” for 快速Toyoda
- 6 stops // 15 Minutes // Get off at “Kichijoji Station”
- Cost and Time: 310 yen (~40 Minute) Direction: Follow this Goggle Direction
9:00 AM Inokashira Park
- Address: Inokashira Park, 1-18-31 御殿山 武蔵野市 東京都 180−0005, Japan
- NOTE: Walk to Ghibli Museum through Inokashira Park
About an hour ride to Mitaka, lets take the walking route to Ghibli Museum through Inokashira Park. Stroll through the park to absorb that fresh morning air and walk off breakfast. If time allows, take some time to explore Inokashira park, as it has a beautiful lake, garden and even a zoo.
10:00 AM Ghibli Museum (Site)
- Address:1-1-83 Simorenjaku, Mitaka-shi,Tokyo 181-0013
- Hours: Monday – Sunday (Closed Tuesday). 10:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Ticket :
|Age 19 and Over||Age 13-18||Age 7-12||Age 4-6||Under 4|
|1,000 Yen||700 Yen||400 Yen||100 Yen||Free|
NOTE: Ticket to Ghibli Museum MUST be purchased in advance!! Available only in Japan or affiliate websites. Click here to find out where to buy. If you are in Japan, you can buy it at Lawson convenience store kiosk. The menu will be in Japanese. Refer to this site to learn how to use the kiosk. Tickets are sold on the 10th of each month for the following month dates and times!!!
- Admission Times:
NOTE: There are divided admission time into the museum. Your admission time is bought for specific dates and time! You can only be 30 minute late to YOUR entry TIME. Any time after = No entry . BUT once you are in, you can stay until closing if you wish.
|2nd Admission||3rd Admission||4th Admission|
10:00 (until 10:30)
12:00 (until 12:30)
2:00 (until 2:30)
6:00 (until 6:30)
The Ghibli Museum is a museum showcasing the work of the Japanese animation studio Studio Ghibli. Some of notable work by Studio Ghibli you may have heard of are; My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Spirited Away and many more.
While looking around the museum be sure to check out their short films in their special theaters. Your entry to the special theaters is include with your admission. If you are hungry eat some Ghibli inspired food at the Ghibli Museum Cafe.
1:00 PM Head to Ikebukuro (via train: Kichijoji Station to Ikebukuro Station)
How to get there:
- From Ghibli Museum, walk 21 minute (through Inokashira Park) to Kichijoji station.
- Take the“JR Chuo Line” for 各停Tokyo
- 8 Stops // 18 Minutes // Get off at “Shinjuku Station”
- Transfer to the “Saikyo Line” for 各停Omiya
- Nonstop // 6 Minutes // Get off at “Ikebukuro Station”
- Cost and Time: 310 yen (~40 Minute) Direction: Follow this Goggle Direction
2:00 PM Eat & Explore Ikebukuro
Up to this point in the itinerary, you can either shop first or eat. Here are some recommendations:
- Address: Japan, 〒171-0022 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, Minamiikebukuro, 1 Chome−1−28−2, 池袋駅構内 Located inside Ikebukuro Station
A popular meeting spot in Ikebukuro Station . The name Ikefukuro is a combination of the word Ikebukuro and fukuro (Owl).
Zōshigaya Kishimojin-do (Site)
Zoshigaya Kishimojindo Temple popular temple where Kishimojin, the goddess of safe birth and child rearing, is worshiped. What caught my attention about this temple, is the how nice the temple ground is arrange. Especially the torri (red gates). If you choose to visit here, walk under the torrii gates and if you are interest get goshuin stamp.
Suggested Place to Explore:
Otome Road is a nickname for a street in Ikebukuro – a district of Tokyo – which is located to the west of the Sunshine 60 building near Ikebukuro Station. Otome Road translates to “Maiden Road”. The nickname is given from a dense grouping of shops that specialize in doujinshi, anime and other merchandise aimed at women. This is THE street to do your anime shopping needs for the day.
Animate (Flagship Store) (Site)
- Address:1 Chome-20-7 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tōkyō-to 170-0013, Japan
- Hours: Monday- Sunday 10:00 AM- 9:00 PM
The Animate store in Ikebukuro boast to be the biggest anime store in the world. It has 9 floors and a cafe. Which regularly have different anime collaboration. Of the 9 floors, 7 floors is dedicated to comics, picture books and videos of popular anime, all sorts of anime character goods are on sale.
- Address:Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−28−1, タクトTOビル
- Hours: Monday- Sunday 10:00 AM- 8:00 PM
Kbooks is a known manga and novel specialty bookstore. There are 3 separate branch in Ikebukuro. The first branch is carries all yaoi/BL/shounen ai manga, doujinshi (fan-made comics), and novels. While the the second branch sells purely doujinshi . Lastly the third branch is stocked with old manga and collector’s items.
Pokemon Mega Center (Site)
- Address:Japan, 〒170-0013 Tokyo, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 3−1−2 サンシャインシティ Located in :Sunshine City Alpa
- Hours: Monday- Sunday 10:00 AM- 11:30 PM
If you love pokemon you have gotta visit here! With the release of Pokemon Go, visiting the Pokemon Mega Center is a definite must. Who knows how many Pokemon you can catch here. But if you can’t catch one you can always buy one. Pokemon merchandise displayed all around the store.
Swallowtail Butler Cafe (Site)
- Address:Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 3 Chome−3−12−12 正和ビル
- Hours: Monday- Sunday 10:30 AM- 9:20 PM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 1600+ (Menu) <-Pricey!!!
Just as there are maid cafe in Akihabara and other parts of Tokyo, you will also find a butler cafe in Ikebukuro. Although it is a kind of pricey in my opinion. But if you want to see whats it like to have a butler and serving you fancy tea or food (Menu change every month), stop on by but make reservation first!
Suggested Place to Snack and Drink:
- Address: Japan, 〒170-0013 Tokyo, Toshima, Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−8−1 Located in: WACCA 1F
- Hours: Monday-Sunday 11:00 AM-9:00 PM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 220+ yen
Bake Cheese Tart ベイクチーズタルト池袋店 (Site)
- Address:Japan, 〒171-8557 東京都豊島区Nishiikebukuro, 1 Chome−1, 南池袋1丁目28-1 JR池袋駅内
- Hours: Monday-Sunday 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 300+ yen
- Address:Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−1−21−1
- Hours: Monday-Sunday 10:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 370+ yen
- NOTE: Located on the side of Sega arcade
Suggested Place to Eat:
- Address: Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−30−6, セイコーサンシャインビル Located in:Sunshine City Alpa
Hours: Monday-Sunday 7:00 AM- 5:00 AM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 500+ Yen (Menu)
Midori Sushi (Conveyor Belt Sushi) (Site)
- Address: Seibu Ikebukuro, 1 Chome-１-２８-１ Minamiikebukuro, 豊島区 Toshima-ku, Tōkyō-to 171-8569, Japan Located in: Seibu Ikebukuro
Hours: Monday- Friday 11:00 AM- 11:00 PM // Saturday-Sunday 10:30 AM- 11:00 PM
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 100+ Yen (Menu)
Sutadonya (伝説のすた丼屋 池袋店) (Site)
- Address: Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−1−22−1
- Hours:Monday – Friday 11:00 AM-3:00 AM
- Budget:Expect to spend at least 500+ Yen (Menu)
Tamagoken たまごけん (Site)
- Address:Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 1 Chome−１−２３−８ ISKビル102
- Hours:Monday-Sunday 11:00 AM-11:00 PM
- Budget:Expect to spend at least 690+ Yen
7:00 PM Namjatown (Site)
- Address: Japan, 〒170-0013 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, 豊島区Higashiikebukuro, 3 Chome−1, サンシャインシティ・ワールドインポートマートビル ワールドインポートマートビル
- Hours: Monday-Sunday 10:00 AM-10:00 PM (Last Admission 9:00 PM)
Namja Passport (Admission + Attractions are Free) with exception
Namja Passport After 3PM
Child (12 & Under)
NOTE: Many of the attractions are in Japanese. Click here for a English guide.
Located in Sunshine City (same building as J-World), we arrive at our final point of interest of the day, Namja Town. Namja City is a in-door amusement park. It is not your typical amusement park where you will find roller coaster or anything of that scale. Instead you will find small rides and carnival style games.
Note: Most of the attractions has a fee (unless you bought the passport pass) and might require some knowledge of the Japanese language to play. Please refer to the site for games that has English explanation.
One the more notable attraction in Namja Town is the “Gyoza Stadium”in a setting of Tokyo of the 1950s.. Here you will find lots and lots of Gyoza (dumplings)! Various gyoza dishes from famous restaurants across Japan.
If you got a sweet tooth, hop along to “Ice Cream City”. It is most know for serving bizarre and unique ice cream.
10:00 PM Continue to Eat & Explore Ikebukuro or End of the Day
Up to this point in the itinerary, you can either call it a day or continue exploring Ikebukuro or elsewhere. If you are like me who loves food or if you still have room for food I would like to recommend the Isomaru Fisheries for late night munchie.
Isomaru Fisheries (Site)
- Address: Japan, 〒171-0021 Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku, Nishiikebukuro, 1 Chome−42, 西池袋１丁目４２−１
- Hours: Monday- Sunday Open 24 Hours
- Budget: Expect to spend at least 700+ Yen (Menu)
I know it might be late but it does not mean we can stop spoiling ourselves with one more delicious meal for the day!! As you may have notice Isomaru is open for 24 hours! If seafood is your thing, I say give Isomaru a try before calling it a day.
As always thank you for checking out these itineraries. Until next time, happy travels!